Vanilla Matcha Chia Pudding with Yummy Strawberry Nicecream Recipe
Many of you have been asking me, ‘What is matcha?’ Matcha is a special type of powdered green tea that is grown and produced in Japan. The powder can be used to brew a rich, frothy green tea or it can be added into recipes, such as the one I will be sharing today.
To be honest, the first time I tried matcha, I didn’t particularly love it. Maybe it was my not-so-great ingredient combination (yep, I decided to go all out with spinach so it was waaay too bitter). However, I didn’t want to give up on it just yet! One of the main reasons is that this magical powder offers many great health benefits.
It is rich in antioxidants called polyphenols, which have been medically linked to protection against heart disease and cancer. It also contains a high concentration of epigallocatechin (EGCG) which has been shown to boost metabolism, slow the growth of cancer cells, and help support skin health. It is also a great afternoon ‘pick-me-up’ anytime you need an energy boost! If that is not enough reasons to try matcha, there are many more but I don’t want to bore you with too much science 🙂 So, time to get to my simple 10 minute recipe.
• 10 minutes
Ingredients for Vanilla Matcha Chia Layer
• 1 ½ cups of almond milk
• 1/3 cup of chia seeds
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ teaspoon matcha powder
Instructions for Vanilla Matcha Chia Layer
• Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Place in a covered bowl in the fridge overnight or until it has achieved a pudding-like consistency.
Ingredients for Strawberry Nicecream Layer
• 2 medium sized bananas, frozen
• 1 cup of strawberries
• Agave or maple syrup if you have a sweet tooth (I didn’t use anything)
Instructions for Strawberry Nicecream Layer
• The night before, chop bananas and place in the freezer overnight.
• In a blender, add frozen bananas and strawberry and blend until they reach a perfect consistency.
• Layer both the Vanilla Matcha Chia Pudding with Strawberry Nicecream and add any additional toppings you love, such as, coconut shavings, granola, mangoes, raspberries and many more!